girl ipsa loquitur: My Big Fat Greek Surveillance System Email me!

Wednesday, August 11, 2004

My Big Fat Greek Surveillance System

[Click to read]
If you are attending the games in Greece, get used to that creepy feeling that someone is watching you! They will be. Frankly, the implications for this type of security surveillance are staggering.

"It gathers images and audio from an electronic web of over 1,000 high-resolution and infrared cameras, 12 patrol boats, 4,000 vehicles, nine helicopters, a sensor-laden blimp and four mobile command centers."

Of course, not everyone affected by this system will be a tourist just in town for the games. I hear that a lot of people actually live in Greece full time. Understandably, some of them are upset.

So, I will add this little question to my list of Things to Think About once I have finished the MPRE; Whether or not the obvious intrusion into privacy and other various constitutional concerns raised by this type of technology is outweighed by the improved safety delivered... which can be foiled ONLY by speaking in pig Latin. Or, if you prefer, pig Farsi.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"To live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else." ~ Emily Dickinson

"Ouch!" ~ Mrs. Palsgraff

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?

Be sure to read A Criminal Waste of Space
& check out BAD Reporter


Thanks for reading Girl Ipsa